Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ezekiel

We are studying about Ezekiel this morning. I find it a little difficult to teach about the prophets because we get so little time to spend on each one. It is also difficult for me because it is the part of the Bible I am the least familiar with. I hope to convey to my students and my own children the importance of knowing all of the Bible. I want them to be confident that the Bible was written for their understanding and because of that it is possible to understand it. This morning we will talk about who Ezekiel was, when he prophesied and who he prophesied to. We'll talk about some of the visions of the opening chapters. I want to teach them that, while these visions are unusual to us, they were given to Ezekiel to make things easier for him and the people to understand God's message.

I hope to read at least 3 chapters in class -- 1-3. Chapter 1 talks about the 4 cheribum and the wheels that accompanied/carried them. Chapter 2 talks about God telling Ezekiel to eat the scroll. Chapter 3 tells Ezekiel not to be afraid of the people he is to talk to (Israelites) but to tell them what God wants them to hear regardless of their reaction.

We'll then jump to chapter 12 and read about how Ezekiel was supposed to demonstrate to the people about the captivity they would endure. As I try to visualize this, I can't help but smile. I picture this old man that I'm sure everyone considers pretty odd by this time acting out the steps involved in being a captive -- packing up his stuff, putting it out in the front yard, then at night taking it all to the wall and digging a hole in the wall.

I plan on introducing one of Glenda Schales songs -- Ezekiel. It talks about the dry bones vision that Ezekiel saw. We won't cover that until Wednesday night but I want to start singing the song to them this morning anyway.

Wednesday night we started new memory work. We have memorized Psalm 23, 100, 127 and 1 this year. I was going to go ahead and work on another Psalm when one of the students said, "Let's memorize something in Proverbs." I couldn't resist his request so we are working on Proverbs 6:6-11. This is the Proverbs about the ant and the sluggard. The kids were thrilled to get to do this. They have been singing Glenda's song -- Go To The Ant O Sluggard -- for years. This will be a welcome relief to the difficult Psalms we have been working on.

Lesson Plan:

Kings of Judah: Review the Kings from Timeline then sing The 20 Kings of Judah (another of Glenda's songs).

Proverbs 6:6-11: We did our first copy work on Wednesday evening. We'll read it aloud today and recite in unison from memory the part we copied Wednesday evening.

Discuss Prophets: Discuss what a prophet is -- messenger of God, who they were, who they prophesied to and what Jesus said about them in Matthew 5.

Ezekiel: Read Ezekiel 1-3 and then chapter 12. Discuss as we go along.

Sing: Ezekiel by Glenda Schales

Worship Notes: Pass out worship notes.

Prayer

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Hi! I like reading your posts...Ezekiel is a hard one, but I found that Bible Stories for Children(http://www.bibleforchildren.org/)gave some invaluable help here. I too am trying to teach our SS class about the prophets and it is definitely taking me out of my comfort zone! Hard to put those minor prophets on a child's level. But I have no doubt it is a worthwhile exercise. Thanks for making your ideas available and also for the pictures you show. God bless you in your teaching!

Diana Dow said...

Thank you Joanna. It is a challenge for us but the kids don't think of it any different than any other subject we teach them in class. I hope that I can teach them that the whole Bible is necessary and worth while and that they should not be afraid to study any portion because they are unfamiliar with it.