Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Elijah on Mr Carmel -- 1 Kings 18

Wednesday evening we finished up studying Elijah and the widow. We also made some good progress on our memory work (Psalm 1). This morning we will be studying about Elijah and the prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel. This is a fascinating story that I didn't really appreciate until I was grown. I'm not sure if it was because I had never studied it as a child or if I just never appreciated it.

God has been showing his power to His people ever since they were in Egypt. The Israelites continually choose to follow the people around them and worship their gods. What an insult to the one true God -- the one that made us all -- the one that made the wood and the stone that the false gods were formed from. This test on Mt Carmel put the prophets of Baal as well as Ahab to shame. Did their desire to worship earthly gods change?

I would like to think if I was there at the foot of Mt Sinai or if I was on Mt Carmel or if I had been there at the fall of Jericho that I would have been one that chose to follow God. That I would have been the mother that trained her children well enough that they trained their children to follow God. It's easy to look back and say, "Why didn't they follow God?" But, are we doing the very thing today that they did then?


Lesson Plan:


Psalm 1: Read it from the back of their notebook. Say in unison what we've memorized so far. If anyone would like to say the memory work on their own, we'll give them time to do that.

Review: Review the story of Jeroboam. Review chapter 17 of 1 Kings.

Bible Story: Read/paraphrase 1 Kings 18. I may use the white board to draw some of this story for them.

Map work: Talk about some of the key places on the map. Take off 2 or three labels per student and let them see if they can remember where to put them.

Worship Notes: Pass out worship notes.

Sing: Sing: Rehoboam/Jeroboam.

Prayer

No comments: