Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Ark Is Captured

I didn't get a lesson plan ready before class tonight because I was working on a bulletin board right up until time to start. We muddled through somehow without a lesson plan to guide me. I had all the kids in class that regularly come on Wednesday -- 4 in all. There has been so much sickness lately that attendance has been rather low. They were all there and looked healthy and happy.

I started class telling them that tonight's lesson was one of saddest in the Bible. They proceeded to guess what it was we were going to talk about. They come up with some pretty good suggestions about what the saddest story in the Bible was. I felt like I needed to go back to Moses on Mt Sinai and remind them how important the tabernacle and the ark of the covenant were. We talked about how the ark was carried, where it kept, who got to see it, etc. This lead into our story about it being captured by the Philistines.

Tonight was the first time they actually wrote in their memory notebooks. I don't think I have mentioned much about these. They are 1 1/2" white binders where they will keep all their memory work. I also have them put their worship notes in the back of the notebook. The memory part of the notebooks consists of the memory work (Psalm 23) broken down into bite size chunks for them to copy. We read the entire Psalm (which is in the clear pocket on the back of the binder) and then read the first chunk. They copied it and then we went around the room to see if they could say it from memory. They did very well. The first chunk was: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

Lesson Plan:

Review: Each student got a chance to scramble the timeline pictures on the magnet board (white board) so another student could put them in order. They really enjoyed this. The only student that had trouble was the one that has been out for sickness for about a month. He'll catch up.

Tonight's lesson: tonight's lesson started as mentioned above. Then I told the rest of the story letting the students fill in where they could. I have a couple of kids that like to monopolize the class so I had to be very careful about not letting them talk too much. I could just see the others shut down as soon as the talker started talking. We're going to have to work on class manners. :)

Memory work: We worked on Psalm 23 as mentioned above. I handed out magnets that had Psalm 23 printed on them. These were done on my computer with some magnetic paper. I told them to go home and put them on the fridge so they could practice saying it all week long.

Singing: We sang 2 songs that had 3/4 time signature. They all learned to lead in 3/4. We sang Trust and Obey and another one I can't remember it's name. It was kind of funny about the 2nd one. We were doing pretty well -- everyone leads and sings at the same time. Then, it just wasn't working anymore -- for me. They didn't seem to care. I stopped and looked at the music and realized that this song changes from 3/4 to 4/4 at the chorus. I had never noticed that before. I wasn't ready to teach them 4/4 yet so we just sang the verses.

Prayer: I lead and prayer and class was dismissed.

No comments: