Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Heaven -- Revelation 21, 22

This morning was my last class for a while. I've been allowed a sabatical so to speak. I've been teaching a Bible class since my nearly 5 year old was 6 weeks old. I haven't been in the same class all the time, but I have been teaching non-stop. I love to teach, but it's time I sat in an adult class and got some refreshing lessons.

I've really enjoyed teaching this group of kids. We've been together for a whole year. We studied the life of Christ for the first 6 months and then the history of the church for the last 6 months. I know I have learned a lot and I hope they have as well.

Our lesson today was on Heaven. We first looked at the words to the song No Night There by Hart Danks and John Clements. The words were taken right out of Revelation 21. I read it to them as a poem.

NO NIGHT THERE

In the land of fadeless day lies the "city four-square,"
It shall never pass away, and there is "no night there."

All the gates of pearl are made in the "city four-square,"
All the streets with gold are laid, and there is "no night there."

There they need no sunshine bright, in that "city four-square,"
For the Lamb is all thel ight, and there is "no night there."

God shall "wipe away all tears;"
There's no death, no pain, for fears;
And they count not time by years,
For there is "no night there."

It is a beautiful song and one I remember singing when I was very young. After reading the song to them and making sure they understood what all the words meant, we read most of Rev 21 and part of 22.

In the reading it talks about how those that obey the commandments will hve rights to the tree of life. We talked about where they had heard of the tree of life before. Then we went back to Gen 3 and read about what God said about the tree of life. It was very neat how the end of the Bible brings up the tree of life again. We talked about how next week they would start studying Genesis again. This time they would be old enough to remember everything we had talked about. They will know where God's Plan is heading as they study it over again.

One of the goals for this class for each child to read through the entire New Testament on their own. I gave them a schedule each quarter and there was a place on their project folder to put stickers as they finished parts of the reading. I had 2 students that completed the assignment and a couple more that did very well with it. It was so encouraging to see these kids (ages 11 and 12) reading their Bibles so diligently. I hope it continues to be a habit throughout their lives.

My lesson plan:


Time at Stations: Work on stations before class and for the first 5 or 10 minutes.

Today's lesson: Discuss Heaven (see above)

Roll Call of Faith -- Read entire passage together

2 comments:

CresceNet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff and Sendy said...

I am so thrilled to have found your blogs and website! You are a true inspiration and I look forward to keeping up with your blogs and using your schoolroom website! Thank you so much for sharing, what a wonderful woman you are!