Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

History of the Church -- a study of Acts

Alot has happened since I last posted. My oldest son married. We were in Colorado last Sunday. That happened to also be the first day of our new quarter. That wouldn't normally be a big problem, except that it was also promotion day. Two kids are leaving the class and 4 are entering. I didn't have anything ready for the new quarter, so my substitute was to review and let the kids finish up their project folders.

This quarter's study is about the church. We will be studying the book of Acts through Paul's 2nd journey. We'll finish it up next quarter. Our stations this quarter are:

Bible lesson Review
Chapters of Acts -- They'll be memorizing something that happened in each chapter.
Paul's 1st and 2nd Journeys -- they will memorize the major stops and what happened at each.
The Unknown God --Acts 17:22-31
The Acts of Worship -- they will be memorizing a passage to support each of the acts of worship.
The Steps to Salvation -- they will be memorizing a passage to support each of the steps of salvation.
The Mission and Organization of the Church -- Matthew 28:18-20 and Philippians 1:1
Review of previous quarters' lessons

Since we have a bunch of new kids, and they are younger than the rest, I'm going to spend tonight reviewing the whole Bible story. We'll start at creation and go all the way through the resurrection of Jesus. I also want to spend some time talking to all of the kids about what we do in class, how I expect them to behave and so on. We were all getting a little bit lax in our standards of conduct. I think this will be a great time to "crack the whip". I want to sing some with them also.

My lesson plan:

Time at Stations:
We won't be spending any time at the stations tonight. I'll introduce the stations but we'll spend most of our time reviewing the lesson.

New Testament cards -- We didn't get all of these finished. I'll put the last 2 (Jude and Revelation) on the wall. If any of them are ready to recite them, that's great.

Today's lesson: Review of Bible story through the resurrection

Sing: Is It I? Also I Will Sing (another song I wrote -- I hope to have it online soon)

Recite (in unison): I would like to work systematically with the Unknown God (Acts 17). It is longer than most of the passages we memorize, but it is one of my favorites.

No comments: