Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

VBS -- The Kingdom Parables

Tomorrow is the first day of our VBS. We are studying the parables. It has been based on a filmstrip series (I can't remember the name of the series). There are about 24 parables in the series. Each day we will meet in the auditorium and everyone will watch the filmstrip for that day. Then we'll go to class. Each teacher has been given the freedom to choose which parables she will teach. The 3 and 4 year old class is doing one parable a day. The High School class is going to try to cover all of them. I'm doing 14 parables in all. I will be teaching the 7-9 year olds.

Like last year, we have a teacher that will be doing crafts for everyone. Each class has an assigned time to go to her classroom and do whatever project she has. This alleviates the need for each teacher to do an artsy type project. It also breaks up the class a little and lets the kids and the teacher get out of the classroom. It worked out great last year.

My class will have books that I put together. If I can get my son to help me, I'll try to get pictures on before the week is through. We bought a new camera and I can't figure out how to use it. He has to set it for me every time. I need a simpler camera.

We will be playing a different game to review the lessons each day. Tomorrow we will have a Bible bee, Tuesday we'll do Bible baseball, Wednesday we'll play Bible pictionary, Thursday we'll have a Bible bowl and Friday we'll play Bible Jeopardy. All of these are just done with the supplies we have and questions I've made up each day. I'm going to make 25 questions a day. I hope that's enough.

I like to have a week long project when we do VBS. This year, I painted treasure chests to look old. They represent the hidden treasure parable. Each day we'll add little items that will help them remember the parable -- a pearl for the pearl of great price, a band-aid for the good Samaritan, a sheep for the lost sheep, etc.

Lesson Plan:

Parables for today: The Kingdom Parables
The Parable of the Mustard Seed
The Parable of the Leaven
The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price
The Parable of the Hidden Treasure
The Parable of the Great Supper

Go to Art:
We got to art first thing each day. This may give me a chance to get some last minute things done. The art session lasts 20 minutes.

Fill out attendance cards.
I don't have attendance charts, so I'll probably let them put a sticker on the cards each day. These cards are turned in at the end of the week. Next year, we'll use them to send out invitations.

Pass out Workbooks.

Introduce Vocabulary. Each day there will be 3 new vocabulary words. Today's words are: parable, kingdom and leaven. We will play a matching game everyday to review the vocabulary words -- adding to the list of words each day. I made cards with the word and cards with the definition and put a magnet on the back. The white board in the room is magnetic, so they will get to come to the board and match the cards. They will also write the definition in their workbook.

Tell the parables. They just heard the parable in the auditorium, so it won't be the first time they've heard it today. They should be able to help tell the parable.

Read the little books in the pocket of their workbook. Each day there will be at least one little book that has the scripture (NKJV) for the parable and some pictures. This lesson has 2 books. One has the parables of the pearl, leaven, mustard seed and treasure. The other one has the parable of the great supper.

Memory Work: We'll be memorizing Matthew 7:24-27. It is the parable of the Wise/Foolish man. Each day we will read it (it is written in the back of their workbook) and they will copy a verse from it. Hopefully, at least some of them will be able to say all 4 verses by the end of the week. There is a chart in the back of their book. Each verse they can say from memory, they will get a sticker to put on the chart. If they get all four stickers they will have a complete picture showing the wise man's house on the rock.

Do Search and Find in workbook. Each day there will be a little activity for them to do to help them review the parable. The search and find doesn't give them the words to find. They are given a clue. They must first figure out the clue before they know what word to look for.

Play Bible Bee. It's not ready yet, but I hope by Tuesday there will be a scoreboard to keep track of who wins.

Songs. We have a song book for the week. I hope to have time to sing songs with them. I'm not sure when that will fit in the lesson plan.

No comments: