Pages

Monday, June 19, 2006

VBS -- God's Plan of Salvation -- Tuesday

Today's class was interesting. The lesson was on hearing the word, so we practiced listening. That was fun. Then when it came time for them to really listen to the lesson, they didn't. I asked questions afterwards and got blank stares. So, I told the story again. I hope that throughout the week, they'll get better at listening.

I have officially lost my voice. I can't utter a sound. I called my assistant teacher if she would teach for me and she said she would give it a shot. I'm going to write the lesson plan out as if I was going to teach it. If she wants to use, that's fine. If not, that's fine too.

This lesson is about believing in Jesus. We will be learning about the Philippian Jailer's conversion, and how he believed in Jesus.


My Lesson Plan for Tuesday is:

Pass out salvation gloves and sing Salvation. The gloves worked better than I thought they would.

Review yesterday's lesson. Point out the poster on the wall and hopefully they'll be able to tell something about Cornelius and Peter.

Object Talk:

Using the large sequence pictures of Jesus' death, burial, resurrection and ascension, discuss the importance of these events. Talk about how we can believe they happened because the Bible that God wrote (we went over this yesterday) tells us so. Emphasize that Jesus was a real man that walked on the earth and He is really living in Heaven now.

Pass out small sequence pictures of Jesus (these are identical to the large ones). Have the children put them in order. See if they can tell what's happening in each picture.

Pass out second page of pop-up book. Help the kids put together the story wheel using the small sequence pictures of Jesus' life. Be sure to trim off some of each picture so they will fit on the wheel. Glue the wheels onto the 2nd page of the pop up book. Glue the 2nd page side-by-side to the 1st page.


Remove the cover from the poster labeled BELIEVE.

Tell the story of the Philippian Jailer's conversion from the book of Acts. Emphasize the fact that he believed and then was baptized to be saved.

Craft time. This time went really well yesterday. Our teacher in this area is very talented. I don't remember what she has in store for this lesson, but I'm sure it will be great.

On the way back to class, take the children outside. Sit them down and read the book What Is Faith>?

Return to class.

Pass out story folders. This activity should be done basically the same as yesterday. Review story, ask review question, discuss application picture, allow the children time to color the picture. While they're coloring either talk to them about the picture, sing songs or review questions some more.

If there is time remaining, sing songs that will be sung in the auditorium.

Prayer -- Each child can have a turn saying a prayer, or just 1 or just the teacher.

Go to the auditorium. We will be meeting with the rest of the classes in the auditorium. Danny will review the story with the kids in the form of a game -- Keeping score (boys vs girls) throughout the week. We'll sing some songs and then go home.

2 comments:

obedientone said...

I, too, have a children's ministry. I like to do interactive storytelling to help the kids remember. Because of TV they are visually oriented and need to "see."

Think up props to go with the story, or simple movements, and have the kids "act" them out while you tell the story. This doesn't have to be a fancy play or practiced ahead of time.

You will be amazed at how such a little trick can expand their attention span and enhance memory.

Dawn said...

Class was indeed interesting :)

Of course I'm going to use your lesson plans...I'd never get everything done if you weren't so organized :) Hopefully you get a little of your voice back before tomorrow....you can squeak out the songs with me, so I don't have to sing all by myself...