Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Elijah, The Widow and Her Son

I've been teaching this class for 6 months now. For the first time, I failed to get a lesson plan ready for class 2 lessons in a row (Last Sun AM and Wed PM). The lesson plans really help me keep things moving in class. It helps me stay focused so I can concentrate on the kids not on what I'm going to do next.

Sunday AM I had a visitor from Germany. Actually, she grew up here in Huntington, but her husband is stationed in Germany. She is teaching this age group over there and wanted to sit in class to get some ideas. I enjoyed having her in class. She was very helpful.

I've been wanting to teach the kids the books of the Bible. I made a half-hearted effort earlier. I was actually just continuing what the previous teacher had done. I get frustrated teaching kids to memorize something that means absolutely nothing to them. To just say the books of the Bible, is the same as just saying a list of words that don't make sense.

We previously had the name of the book printed on a worm segment. Each worm segment (or circle) was a different color. The kids did well with this. I think they were associating the book they were saying with the color they were looking at. They can't read, so the name of the book wasn't helping.

I was folding socks last Saturday (I have 6 boys, so it takes me quite a while). I was thinking about this and came up with an idea. They need pictures. The The Beginner's Bible Card Collection is an excellent source. So, after I finished the socks and the supper and whatever else there was to do, I went to the resource room and looked through all the cards. I found a card that I thought represented each book of the Old and New Testaments. I scanned them into my computer so I could crop and resize them. So far I've finished the Old Testament cards. Since that's where we're studying, I thought that would be a great place to start. Each division -- law, history, poetry, major prophets, minor prophets have a different colored border. The name of the book is below the picture.



I made a set of these cards to be put on the wall and an identical set with flannel on the back to be used with the flannel board. I made small sets of these cards (trading card size) so each child would be able to work with them individually. I hope to have the older ones (4,5 year olds) saying the books of the Old Testament by the end of the quarter.

My lesson plan is:

Sing: Jesus Loves Me and The B-I-B-L-EWe are learning The B-I-B-L-E in sign language. The kids like challenge and so do I.

Magnetic Puzzle -- Elijah and the Altars

Sing: Elijah. I hope to have this song online in the next week or two.

Elijah Flip Chart.

Sing: God Will Take Care of You using the flip chart.

Attendance Chart -- Add a raven to the picture of Elijah sitting down by the tree.

After a child adds his raven to his attendance chart, have him choose a pillow and sit on the floor in front of the flannel board.

Retell Elijah's story using the Betty Lukens Flannelgraphs.

Old Testament books -- Work together with the large blue cards (books of law). Then let each child take a turn pointing to and saying the books on the wall with the hand pointer. After each child has had a turn, pass out the individual sets of cards with the blue cards (the law). Let each child practice putting them in order.

Review previous lessons learned with Song Timeline.

Return to seats.

Small Flannelgraph boxes. This week we will add the widow, her son and the flour oil pictures.

Prayer

If time permits, do some of the generic activities on the shelves.

No comments: